It’s exciting to see the months of planning and preparation coming to life as we move deeper into the readiness phase of the Learning Technology Plan (LTP). Here’s an overview of what’s happening and what’s coming soon.
Planning and Preparation
- We’ve put the finishing touches on several documents that outline the LTP policies for schools and staff. These documents outline both the expectations we hold for schools and teachers as well as the commitments DTS and the district will make to ensure success. You can see the Expectations and Commitments documents for Schools and Teachers here. (The Expectations and Commitments documents for students and parents are on the way!)
- The Instructional Technology Team is meeting with middle school principals to begin the planning process for the upcoming iPad and Mac rollout at their schools. A big part of their planning will include a “readiness team” of staff at each site who will work through the conversations that will guide their implementation. We’re providing each school with a planning template to help facilitate those conversations. It’s important to us that schools be able to tailor their implementation to meet their schools’s focus and needs and this planning will help to make that happen.
- The DTS tech team continues to work on the logistics of preparing and deploying computers and iPads to teachers and students. We’re refining our support and service processes to include iPads, completing an RFP for an iPad management solution, and developing new online resources to help support users. In the next several weeks, DTS will be planning site walk-throughs at middle schools to ensure that classrooms are ready for the new computers and teacher iPads that will begin arriving in mid-February.
Distribution and Deployment
- In early October, 90 PreK and K teachers received their iPad mini and Mac mini computers and spent time learning to use their new equipment to support the Teaching Strategies Gold documentation.
- Over the past several weeks, DTS and the Instructional Technology Coordinators have deployed Mac mini desktops and iPad minis to teachers to Westview and Coal Ridge Middle Schools. These two sites are helping us develop strategies and refine our practices as we prepare for the remainder of the middle schools.
- In January, students at Westview and Coal Ridge middle school will be the first to receive their iPad mini. We’re working to finalize the student and parent expectations and commitments documents as well as information on optional iPad insurance coverage.
- In February, the remaining middle schools will begin to schedule their deployment of teacher iPad minis and Mac mini desktops.
As you can see, there’s lots to be excited about and more to come! I hope that you’ll continue to follow along with our progress and send your questions and feedback to us as we move forward.