As we enter the second year of implementation of our new elementary literacy materials, we wanted to make sure we were listening to what teachers were asking for. By and large, folks across the district made three main comments about professional supports:
- we need more time to talk about practice with our peers,
- travel and timing make taking classes difficult,
- and, we need space and time to best meet our students’ needs.
We heard you, and we’re making moves to meet those needs by announcing the Elementary Literacy Show. The fourth Tuesday of each month (except December), we’ll stream a live show for anyone in the district to view and join in the conversation.
Each episode of about 30 minutes will include a segment featuring a SVVSD teacher in the classroom, updates on new resources, and a panel discussion with your colleagues from around the district. We’ll finish off the stream with Q&A for the panel and then send out conversation starters for each viewing site.
Each episode/session will also include a 1-hour application assignment for teachers to try their hands at putting what’s been discussed into practice.
Every month, we will examine a topic relevant to elementary literacy learning aligned with the timing of the school calendar. A full list of episodes can be found below. Interested teachers can sign up and earn credit for individual months separately, rather than committing to an entire semester or year.
Suggestions for Success:
- Plan on viewing with a group from your building, your grade-level team, or as a team with a nearby elementary school.
- Leading up to each episode, try to capture your own questions of practice to be shared during the Q&A segment of each episode.
- Plan for ways you can share what you learn with colleagues from your school who aren’t able to join.
- Stream the episode at your school site after school, watching with your colleagues.
- Discuss the content of the episode with people in your building for 20-30 minutes.
- Apply what you’ve discussed, and reflect on your learning.
When: Every fourth Tuesday (except December) from 3:45 – 4:45 PM.
How: Links to sign up for each session can be found on the OPD website search, “Elementary Literacy Show.”
- August 22 – Procedures, Routines, and Resources
- September 26 – Small Group Formation
- October 24 – Gradual Release in Whole Group
- November 28 – Backward Planning and the PBA
- December 12 – Making Elementary Writing Work
- January 23 – A Mid-Year Check on Foundational Skills
- February 20 – Generative Vocabulary
- March 20 – Understanding Year-End Student Needs
- April 24 – Leveraging Cooperative Learning
- May 22 – The Year Ahead and Behind