What is PECS?
PECS stands for Picture Exchange Communication System uses picture systems so that individuals learn the fundamentals of communication:
- Exchange of wants/needs, ideas, knowledge
- How to construct sentences
- Easily adapted
- Requires structured and frequent trials
- Not a visual schedule
Goal of PECS?
- Teach individuals a means for using effective and functional communication
- Individuals who are selectively mute or functionally non-verbal
- Individuals who you are not sure have the basics of communication related to initiation and exchange (often implemented as a precursor to AAC)
- Minimum of 17 months of age chronologically
- Motorically able to pick up a picture and hand it to someone else (although materials may be modified for certain students and situations)
More on candidacy: PECS Candidacy
What are the Basic Principles of PECS?
- Communication is a two-way street
- Encourage participation in education/life by enticing individuals with powerful reinforcers
- Reinforcer = a consequence (tangible such as food or social such as attention) that increases the likelihood that a behavior will be repeated!
- We all access reinforcers (e.g.,. someone gives it to you, we get it for ourselves, we ask for it, we earn it)
How Do I “Do” PECS?
The following cheat sheets and videos provide a basic overview of each phase. Contact your building SLP for further training and support.
Phase 1 Cheat Sheet: PECS Phase 1 Cheat Sheet
Phase 1 Video Tutorial: PECS Phase 1
Here’s an awesome data collection sheet developed by Jen Marson-Parker: PECS-Level 1 Data Sheets
Phase 2 Cheat Sheet: PECS Phase 2
Phase 2 Video Tutorial: PECS Phase 2
Here’s an awesome data collection sheet developed by Jen Marson-Parker: PECS-Level 2 Data Sheets
Phase 3a Cheat Sheet: PECS Phase 3a
Phase 3a Video Tutorial: Phase 3a
Phase 3b Cheat Sheet: PECS Phase 3b
Phase 3b Video Tutorial: PECS Phase 3b
Phase 4 Cheat Sheet: PECS Phase 4
Phase 4 Video Tutorial: PECS Phase 4
Phase 5 Cheat Sheet: PECS Phase 5
Phase 5 Video Tutorial: PECS Phase 5
Phase 6 Cheat Sheet: PECS Phase 6
Here are some basic core word PECS symbols to get your started: