Colorado School of Mines – SUMMET Program
The Summer Multicultural Engineering Training (SUMMET) is a science and engineering program designed for rising juniors and seniors who are from underrepresented populations, including ethnic minority, rural areas and women throughout the states of Colorado and Oklahoma.SUMMET combines course work, hands-on projects, industry tours, sporting activities and social events, providing an excellent glimpse into the lifestyle and opportunities of college. SUMMET students stay in Mines’ residence halls, experience life as a college student, and receivein STEM related curriculum instruction.
We provide room & board, including all meals, course materials and access to all off-campus events. Transportation to and from Mines is not provided.
Please let your rising juniors and seniors, who excel and show interest in math and science, know about this amazing opportunity.
SUMMET Session Dates
June 3 – June 15, 2018
June 17 – June 29, 2018
July 8 – July 20, 2018
1. Click the application button below and submit an application by March 2, 2018.
2. Student must mail one letter of recommendation from a math teacher, science teacher, counselor, coach or community member.Please note: We do NOT accept recommendations from family members.
- Recommendations must be printed on official letterhead, signed and delivered to you in a sealed envelope and mailed with all the other materials below.
- Recommendations must assess you in each of the following areas:
- Outstanding qualities in leadership and scholarship
- Academic achievements
- Community outreach
- Potential to pursue a science, engineering or math degree
- Motivation toward education
3. Student must meet a minimum unweighted GPA of 3.3, and mail our office a high school transcript.
4. Student must mail a two-page essay that answers each of the following:
- Why do you think you should be chosen to attend SUMMET?
- What school activities are you involved with and why do you chose to participate in them?
- What community service have/are you involved with and why?
- How do you expect to benefit from SUMMET?
- Please describe a stressful situation that you have encountered and how you handled it.
Student must mail one complete packet, with the above items #2 – #4, postmarked by Friday, March 2, 2018 to:
Packets are not acceptable by email or fax.