SCHS Weekly Update for February 24th, 2017

Silver Creek High School

Weekly Update for Friday, February 24, 2017

Late Start is Wednesday, March 1st

School begins at 10 a.m.

Buses will run 2 1/2 hours later than normal

Parents: Time To Order Senior Class Panoramic Photos

The Senior Class Panoramic Pictures were taken this week.

The deadline for ordering pictures at the lowest price is this Sunday, February 26th, before midnight.

For on-line ordering or questions, please go to www.BestClassPicture.com.

Students received order forms at the picture and extras are in the main office.”

SCEF Mardi Gras Click Here

Attention Students…the School Newspaper is back! Follow at Creek_Speak to find out prizes you can win from answering trivia questions about the articles.

Update on Innovation Center Courses for 2017-2018

If you are interested in taking any Innovation Center courses in 2017-2018, please talk to your counselor immediately to get signed up. Here is LINK to the new courses that will be offered. Advanced Robotics, IT Fundamentals, Apple Certification, Ice House Entrepreneurs, Developing Augmented and Virtual Reality, and TriCaster Certification.

REGISTRATION

(1) FOR ALL STUDENTS: current SCHS students AND incoming 9th graders

Be sure to visit the SCHS website for 2017-2018 registration. Information has been updated and posted. Link provided

• February 21 – March 3…Mark your calendar!! You will be registering for your elective classes AND reviewing the classes that your teacher has recommended for you

• What can you do now? (1) check out the application link on the website and register for any Special Class that you’d like to take next year, and (2) check out the registration website – read all the information.

(2) For Current SCHS students

• Different process for classes 2020, 2019, and 2018 that you will need to know!

• Counselors will be visiting classes to discuss elective options and how to register.

• A “how to demonstration” video will be available on the registration website on or before February 20.

(3) For Incoming 9th grade students:

• February 1 Math Night Powerpoint has been added to registration page – you can find it under the class of 2021 and FAQ

• February 8 Registration Night Powerpoint has been added to registration page  you can find it under the class of 2021 and FAQ

• All Integrated English/History and IMP choices are to be turned in on or before Feb. 14. If we do not hear from you, the selection will be automatically be selected as the Topic Specific track for math and the regular English and History track.

• Registration assistance is available, Feb. 22, 4:00 – 5:30 pm and on Feb. 23, 5:30 – 6:00 pm

St. Vrain to host four School Safety/Bond Community Meetings

For more information, please follow this Link

Important Student Health Information

February 16, 2017

Dear Silver Creek Families,

Thank you for your continued partnership as we work to advance student learning and maintain a safe and healthy school environment.

Open communication with parents assists us to continue supporting student wellbeing both at home and at school. Toward this end, we would like to inform you that the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) has recently seen an increase in mumps in Colorado. While we have not had any confirmed cases in our district, CDPHE has requested that we provide the enclosed information for our families.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Student Services or your child’s school.

Thank you,

District Health Services

303-772-7700

Información Importante acerca de la Salud Estudiantil

16 de Febrero del 2017

Estimadas Familias de la escuela [School Name],

Gracias por su apoyo constante a manera que trabajamos para mejorar el aprendizaje estudiantil y para mantener un ambiente escolar seguro y saludable.

La comunicación con los padres nos ayuda a continuar apoyando el bienestar estudiantil tanto en la casa como en la escuela.   Dicho esto, nos gustaría informarles que el Departamento de Salud Pública de Colorado (CDPHE), ha visto un aumento de casos de paperas en el estado de Colorado. Mientras que no hemos tenido ningún caso confirmado en nuestro distrito,  CDPHE ha solicitado que proveamos la información adjunta a nuestras familias.

Si tienen alguna otra pregunta, favor de no dudar de ponerse en contacto con el Departamento de Servicios a los Estudiantes o con la escuela de su hijo(a).

¡Gracias!

Servicios de la Salud del Distrito Escolar

303-772-7700

Mumps Alert Eng./Span

Counseling/Registrar Office

norrbom_barb@svvsd.org Alphabet A-EL

sardinia_michael@svvsd.org  Alphabet EM-LA

ehleparker_kristin@svvsd.org  Alphabet LE-RI

yeomans_andy@svvsd.org  Alphabet RO-Z

AP Test Registration Begins Feb. 27!

For students who are currently enrolled in an AP class at Silver Creek, taking the AP test is a way to earn college credit for that class. Registration will be available Feb. 27 to Mar. 17 – look for the registration link on the school website on Feb. 27. The exams will be given May 1-12. Most exams will be proctored at Silver Creek, a few will be held at a district location. This year, the cost for an AP test is $93. Fee waivers are available for those on free/reduced lunch. Stay tuned – more info will be posted soon!

College Representative Visits

Tuesday, February 28 @ 12:45 – University of Wyoming

Tuesday, March 7 @ 7:30 – University of Northern Colorado

Tuesday, March 7 @ 1:00 – Colorado Mountain College

Thursday, March 16 @ 9:30 – CU Boulder

Please sign up in the counseling office.

Transcript request

Seniors who need an official transcript sent to a college, please pick up a Transcript Request form in the counseling office.  Official transcripts are $2.00 each.

Information about Front Range Community College

Are you considering Front Range Community College?  There will be an Open House at the FRCC Boulder County Campus (2121 Miller Dr., Longmont) on Tuesday, March 7th from 3:30-6:00 pm.

Anyone interested in learning more about Front Range Community College can get an inside look at FRCC during this Spring Open House. One of the best ways to find out if a college is the right fit for you is to visit the campus, talk with students and faculty, and see everything the school has to offer. Family members and friends are welcome and encouraged to attend.

Mathematics Department:

All teachers in the Mathematics Department offer help outside of class time.  Please consult your student’s teacher via syllabus, website, or email to find out what time(s) s/he is available.

Silver Creek Tutoring Program

If you are having trouble in class (or are the parent/guardian of a student who is having trouble in class), visit the Silver Creek Tutoring Program Website to submit a request for a student tutor.

2017-18 School Calendar

Athletics

Spring Sports start on Monday, February 27.  All students interested in trying out/practicing on the 27th should have already completed the online registration forms and have a valid physical on file with Ms. Lehman.   Once registration is complete, students will need to see Ms. Lehman for his/her clearance card.  For additional information, visit the website:  http://schs-raptors.com/2017/01/04/spring-sport-registration-is-open/

Please visit the website athletics website:  http://schs-raptors.com/ for schedules and additional

Information.

February 24, 2017

ONLY A WEEK LEFT UNTIL MARDI GRAS!  BUY YOUR TICKETS ASAP!

Come!  Bring your friends! Support our kids and teachers at SCHS!

TO PURCHASE TICKETS (BY CREDIT CARD OR PAYPAL) AND GET MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE: http://schsedfoundation.org/getting-involved/mardi-gras-party-silent-auction-2017/

When: Saturday March 4, 2017

Where: Best Western Plus Plaza

1850 Industrial Circle – Longmont

5:30 – 10:00pm

Cocktail Hour and Silent Auction begins at 5:30pm

$5 Signature Hurricanes!

Dinner Buffet 6:30pm

Dress as you’d like & we’ll adorn you with beads!  Dinner is included in your ticket and there will be a cash bar. Many exclusive silent auction items will be at this Mardi Gras party such as:

Denver Sports Teams’ memorabilia, Botox with Myers Aesthetics, Tandem Jump with Mile High Skydiving, Massages, Golf packages, Condo at Breckenridge, Woodley’s fine furniture, Life Cycle Hot Air Balloon Ride, Pandora Bracelet from The Gold Market, Letterman Jacket from SAI Team Sports, Western Digital 8GB My Book Thunderbolt Duo, Exxel outdoors sleeping bag, Large Starbucks package, SCHS Family Athletic Pass, fine wine, and MUCH MORE!! “

If you can’t join the party, join our online silent auction which is LIVE NOW…Feb 18th to March 11th

There is NO FEE to browse or bid on almost 200 LOCAL businesses. The bidding usually starts at 40% of the fair market value. You can get some GREAT DEALS and help out students as well!  You can do all this from the convenience of your homes or personal device.  Bidding will shut down March 11th at NOON! New items are being added daily.

Go to https://www.32auctions.com/SCEF2017 to start bidding or browsing.  If you decide you’d like to bid on a item, it’s as easy as clicking on the item & the website sends you an email letting you know if you are the leading bidder and when/if someone outbids you.  If someone outbids you, the site will then ask you if you’d like to rebid.  It’s as easy as that and so much FUN!!!   When the auction ends at noon on March 11th you will be sent an email from the auction site on which items you have been awarded.  You may pay at this site with credit card, pay pal, or when you pick up your items at Silver Creek with cash or check.

Auction Pick Up Day is Tuesday, March 14th from 2:30pm-6:30pm at SCHS.

DONATIONS are also always accepted, are tax deductible which support the work we do for students and teachers at SCHS!  https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/12148/auctions/33980/payments/show_donate_money

Another way to help support SCHS…

The MIDAS of Longmont is excited to announce it will donate 1% of sales from

all students, parents, faculty, and friends of Silver Creek High School

NOW through March 31, 2017.

Call 303-772-2262 to schedule your appointment or visit our location at 1220 Ken Pratt Blvd.

Let us know you are affiliated with Silver Creek High School to have

1% of your purchase donated to the Education Foundation!

Midas Auto Service and Tires is a full-service auto center and an industry leader in brakes, tires, alignments, oil changes, and much more!

NEWS FROM RAPTOR ACTIVITIES BOOSTER CLUB (RABC)

*Due to not enough talent participants, the Silver Creek Talent Show has been cancelled.  The Talent Show was a fundraiser to help with After Prom expenses.  *After Prom is April 8th at Silver Creek from 11:00pm-2:00am.  We are asking the community for donations to help cover the expenses for this safe and fun event for our Juniors and Seniors (and their dates).

Attached is a letter with donation information.  We also will be needing help with areas of After Prom, such as Food Donations, Volunteers for set up, working the event, and clean up.  Please watch for the sign ups coming soon on the blog and on our webpage.  

Bingo!!!  

Come to our February 27th meeting to hear the latest news on RABC Bingo.

Every Wednesday night during the month of March at our 7:00pm RABC Bingo Session,  a 50” Flatscreen TV will be raffled off. That’s 5 TV’s!!  I am sure every Silver Creek student would love to win a 50” TV!  It would be great to see all the Silver Creek Students, Families, Grandparents and Neighbors at the Bingo Alley on Wednesday night.  Bring $5.00 for a Bingo packet and a bingo dabber and join the fun!  640 19th Avenue in Longmont.   

*It is that time of year where we are looking for new RABC Board Members.  Please consider serving our community in this way.  Feel free to contact any of the current board members with any questions.  Let us know if we can add your name to the ballot – voting takes place at our April meeting.

*A very gracious Thank You goes out to everyone who helped with Parent/Teacher Conference Dinner last Wednesday night.  The spread was amazing, the teachers and staff were very thankful. 

*Inaugural Raptor Run/Walk 5K – April 29th at Silver Creek!! We are looking for more people to join our amazing committee of volunteers, please email Stacy Koelfgen at rabctreasurer@gmail.com if you want to be a part of this committee.

Make sure you join us for our next meeting in the Library on February 27th at 6:30pm Mr. Finnestead will be sharing with us about the future of Silver Creek and the expansion.  We also will have 3-4 of our awesome Silver Creek Coaches there to share a little about who they are and why they do what they do.  We will be discussing Bingo, After Prom, Raptor Run/Walk 5K, and future fundraising ideas.  You won’t want to miss this meeting!!!  All are welcome.

After Prom Donation Letter 2017

Kaydene Hubert

RABC President
Raptor Activities Booster Club
Silver Creek High School

THE SCHOOL STORE

The School Store will ONLY  be open on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month during A and B lunches and the time in between (10:30am-12:45pm).  The dates for these days are:

March: 2nd & 16th     April: 6th & 20th     May: 4th & 18th

We accept ALL forms of payment in the store and our online purchasing store accepts Credit/Debit cards.

Shop our “In Stock” inventory online at:     https://squareup.com/market/silver-creek-store

Naviance Information

Students and parents, please take advantage of Naviance, made available to all Silver Creek students by the SCHS Education Foundation.  Naviance is an excellent tool that provides students with many opportunities to make a successful transition between high school, college and career.  Please view the link below for instructional videos on how to log-in and use the colleges and careers features, and access mini-lessons that help students learn more about their own interests and aptitudes, as well as all the pathways available to them in high school and beyond.  LINK to Naviance Information.

YEARBOOK ORDERS

Order your yearbook now by clicking on this link:

JOSTENS YEARBOOK ORDERS

School Lunch

Information for Parent Organizations

Policies for Outside Foods Served in District Schools (click here)

Bake Sales (click here)

Colorado Beverage Guidelines (click here)

Colorado Competitive Food Guidelines (click here)

Online Applications

Pre-Payment Options

Please take advantage of the options to prepay your student’s meal accounts. Prepaid meal accounts help the lunch lines go faster and give students more time to eat, relax, and play. It also gives you peace of mind — not having to worry about looking for lunch money every day or having to worry that it might get lost or used for things other than lunch.

Meal Charging Guidelines – It is very important to keep you child’s account current. If you have any questions about the account, please call your child’s school kitchen manager.

Online Payments

MY School Bucks now can be used to make online payments to your student’s lunch account quickly, easily and securely. Online payments are a simple, safe and secure way to make payments to your students account 24 hours a day at your convenience.

Click here to make prepayments to your child’s meal account online anytime at MySchoolBucks.com!

Send Check or Cash

You can always bring money personally or send it with your student. Please place it in an envelope marked clearly with your student’s name, their ID #, the $ amount and the check #. Turn in prepaid deposits to the cafeteria cashier(s) or school office.

Download and Print Out a pre-formatted #10 Envelope for making Deposits

ATTENDANCE INFORMATION

TO EXCUSE AN ABSENCE – please contact Lois Davis at 720-494-3721 or her direct line: 720-494-3738,  or via email:  davis_lois@svvsd.org.  Be sure to include the student’s first and last name as well as the date and reason for the absence. The absence must be called in or reported by email within 48 hours of the absence in order to be excused.  After 48 hours, absences can only be excused by the student’s assistant principal.  Students may not be excused from a class and remain on campus.  While on campus, students must attend their regularly scheduled classes or be counted “unexcused”.

TAKING YOUR STUDENT OUT OF SCHOOL DURING THE SCHOOL DAY–  Any student who needs to leave during the school day should bring a signed note to the attendance window before school (or you can email a request to davis_lois@svvsd.org) indicating the time you would like him/her to be excused. The student will receive a pink pass to give to the teacher for the class from which the student will be leaving early.  Students should always sign out at the attendance window before they leave.  You can meet your child at the attendance window or tell him/her to sign out and meet you outside.  The attendance clerk will use the note to excuse the student in Infinite Campus.  If the absence is a last-minute appointment, call the office as soon as possible so your student can pick up a pass during passing period.  We know that emergencies arise and want to make the pick-up as easy as possible.  Planning ahead limits classroom disruption.

ATTENDANCE POLICY UPDATE

Students should not be excused from one class in order to go somewhere else in the school building or otherwise remain on school grounds.  Parents, please do not excuse your child from a class in order for him/her to avoid a test for which he/she isn’t prepared, or to avoid a particular class he/she doesn’t feel like attending that day.  Students who are excused from school by a parent should not be on campus and may lose up to 50% credit on any assessment they miss while avoiding a class to “work in the library” or to try to catch up in another class.  Please feel free to call the administration for any clarification of this policy.

Extended absences – There is an “Extended Leave of Absence” form students should submit prior to leaving for an extended time.  Forms are only needed if a student will be absent for more than 3 consecutive days.  This form allows teachers to document any assignments a student will be missing and their current grade in class.  Parents and students are required to sign the form, and after teachers have added grades/homework, students must get signatures from administration and return the form to the attendance clerk.  Absences may go unexcused if a student does not return the form to the attendance clerk.

Health office visits- Students who are not feeling well need to let their teacher know so the students can be excused to visit the health office.  Students leaving school from the health office can sign themselves out and meet parents outside.  Parents/Guardians have 48 hours to excuse absences.  We strongly encourage students to contact their parents from the health office and not from the classroom.

Student Handbook iBook Edition:

Infinite Campus Tutorial

Infinite Campus is a great resource for parents to check grades, homework assignments, attendance, fees, and much more.  Click here for more information.  If you are having trouble logging in to Infinite Campus or RevTrak, our Help Desk can help.  Contact them at 303-702-7730.

Approved Flyers For February

IMPORTANT BUS INFORMATION

Attached you will find a MS Word Document that reiterates to parents that student bus passes are required to be stored and kept in a safe place over the summer to avoid their loss, and the subsequent cost of a replacement pass.  In addition, the letter also talks about the implementation of Zpass+, a notification system which sends time and location messages via phone text to parents when their student scans on and off the bus.  This is a great program that provides another level of safety and security for the students of SVVSD.  Parents are truly going to love this new functionality.  The system is currently active and ready for parents to sign up for an account and begin receiving these valuable text notifications.

Z Pass+ information – In an effort to better serve you, we are implementing a program called Z Pass+ this year.  This free program will allow parents to receive text and/or email notifications via their smart phone whenever their student scans on or off the bus.  This technology is invaluable, and provides an additional layer of safety and security for District students utilizing transportation services.  The following link has directions on how to sign up.

Please open the following link for more important bus information.

linK

In English & Espanol

Important Bus Pass Information for Parents of Students Riding the Bus     

Students only receive one free bus pass.  For a replacement pass, please contact the Bus Pass coordinator by sending an email to bus pass@svvsd.org or calling 303-702-7540.  The replacement cost for lost, stolen and/or mutilated bus passes is $5.00 and shows up as fee under your student’s name in Infinite Campus.  New students to the district or new to riding the bus may pick up their bus passes at the Main Office of the school they will be attending.

Low Cost Health Insurance

Students who are 18 and graduating may be eligible for FREE and LOW-COST HEALTH INSURANCE until their 19th birthdays! This health insurance is available through Medicaid and CHP+ and enrollment occurs right here through St Vrain Valley School District.  Once children turn 18 and are no longer in school, Medicaid no longer counts parent income towards the child’s eligibility!  Please call The Healthy Kids Initiative at 720-722-1454 to see if your kids qualify today!

Los estudiantes que tienen 18 años y están por graduar de preparatoria podrían ser elegibles para obtener SEGURO MÉDICO GRATUITO O A BAJO PRECIO hasta que cumplan 19 años!  Este seguro médico es proporcionado por parte de los programas del gobierno Medicaid y CHP+.  Cuando un joven cumple 18 años y no está asistiendo a la escuela, Medicaid no toma en cuenta el ingreso de los padres! Por favor llame al programa de Niños Saludables al 720-722-1454 para informarse si sus niños son elegibles hoy!

Bookmark the permalink.