We Typically Don’t Teach to the Yellow

I will occasionally have teachers ask me, “I have such a preference in green.  How do I meet the needs of students who have a preference in Yellow thinking?” Students who have a preference is Conceptual like to think outside the box and are extremely energized by being given time to brainstorm unique ways to solve problems. They also like the “big picture” and learning through experimentation. In fact, these students do not prefer a formal classroom setting.

I am particularly excited about SVVSD’s emphasis on Design Thinking because students are given the opportunity to delve into their yellow thinking, especially in the Ideate phase.  In addition, PBL (Problem Based Learning) is another way to get Conceptual thinkers fired up! Here are some additional tips for teaching to students who have a Conceptual Preference:

• Present a variety of options when thinking about the content, process and product of your unit.
  • Be sure to give the “big picture” or overview of the lesson.
  • Occasionally summarize throughout and at the end of the lesson. Sometimes we get caught up in the details, and the Yellow Attribute is not listening.
  • Provide lots of change to prevent this brain from getting bored.
  • Supply written directions.
  • Use as much color, metaphors and pictures as possible.
  • Ask open-ended questions

What are some other ideas you have for meeting the needs of the Conceptual brain?

2 thoughts on “We Typically Don’t Teach to the Yellow

1. Student voice and choice is so important for all students, but especially for those with a strong Yellow preference. Allowing them to blend critical thinking with creativity breathes life into learning =). One option I think is great for all, but especially our Yellow thinkers is an assessment I learned about in Neuroteach, called Tic-Tac-Toe. Imagine a tic-tac-toe board with assessment options that students can choose from to showcase their learning. Possible options can include creating a podcast, using a presentation program, like Sway, creating a 3D product such as a trifold poster or diorama, or using book creator to chronicle their journey through a design thinking project. A “free” space can be left in the middle for students to think of their own way to showcase their learning. Students must create a tic-tac-toe “chain” by the end of the year by choosing three items in a row as summative assessments. This is a great way to include technology, encourage students to explore unfamiliar areas, and capitalize on already existing strengths.